Monday, December 16, 2013

My Christmas present..

Today I get a call from school.. Life pauses.. It's Monday.. Ittie had her asthmatic black eyes Thursday through Saturday and they started looking better by Sunday.. I thought we had beat it.. but its the school calling.. crap.. I answer waiting to hear the .. "Gretchen.. Ittie.. "and it is the nurses voice on the phone.  The school nurse and I have become friends over the last three years.  Her in laws farm the land around us.  Ittie sees "J" and hugs her instantly. 

But this time it's different as I have the bit of anxiety that goes with the routine .. and packing my bag to get into the car .. just waiting to say the rudimentary "I am on my way".. J pauses me with .. "nothing is wrong."

I slowly say "ok" trying to remember what I may have forgotten or .. alright Avery had an accident but Jan is just calling to let me know.. He pants are ripped.. and a few other possibilities parade through my mind as a CNN banner..

J led on to say.. "I needed to tell you what Ittie said today"  OK now I am definitely peaked.. knowing about how Ittie likes to talk about the "mating" rituals of our animals on the farm.. I have been waiting for this call.. I brace myself..

And then it turns.. J goes on to tell me how during Inhaler time. Ittie and her classmate had stated they both had run ins with Santa this weekend.  J going along with it ask both Ittie and her little friend what was the one thing they wanted.. The boy stated he wanted a Clay set.. or something like that and then J said.. "Gretchen Ittie stated she wanted to spend more time with her mom and dad because that is what its about.. and after that she wants a Furby .. then Ittie reiterated if she had to have on thing though it would be the time."    J stated this made her cry and she had to share it.

I sat in awe.. so proud .. so touched..   both by Ittie's answer and J taking the time to call and share the story with me.  What a gift.. That's my Christmas.. right there. I don't know if it will be always like this.. I hope so.. I hope that we continue to foster this amazing attitude and wonder Ittie has toward life.  

I am thankful that I have a school for Ittie and the staff that love her and cares.. But honestly Ittie makes it hard for people not to like her.  She has that thing.. It radiates from her.. Her heart pours out.  I am lucky.  I am grateful for her presence in my life.


1 comment: