Friday, August 3, 2012

Making of Memories the summer of 6

The sun takes its time setting at the front of the house. 
Golden rays paint the barn, grass and trees.. their shadows stretching out long and slow their finale grandeur at the end of the day.

We are gathered in the grass between the barn and house.. Working.. talking, playing.. alternating between.

Ittie runs between puppy, kitten, chicks and ducks... To her swing set/ aka pirate ship and then she sees the first one in the dwindling light.. The lightning bug rises and the hunt is now on..

I have moved to my usual herding  of the poultry.  Harriet is joining me or finishing up the evening touches on our current project before she moves to the barnyard to close doors and find hidden roosted feathery beings.

Long days to slow evenings/ nights and Ittie gets to linger in the twilight running chasing and caught into the disappearing/ reappearing act of the magical fireflies.

These are her summer days and ours.  It's a different view on this side of the fence.  I I remember gathering fireflies and putting them in a mayo jar that I had punched holes in the lid with an ice pick..  I loved this time.. It was amazing the relaxed non scheduled freedom to be me and discover.. I love that Ittie is getting a similar experience.

Sitting on the stoop watching the stars. The sky is illuminated with pin points of twinkles with little interference from the city lights.  The brilliance is amazing and the depth of the darkness interrupted creates the perfect balance for pondering of dragons and quests.

I watch Ittie and I am thankful for the opportunities that this extended break gives her.  The freedom to be 6 and vastness to exercise that energy and imagination. Ittie has the opportunity of shows and plays with papa, time with her great aunt, horse camp, and the general day to day  discovery, growth, courage and balance. Ittie has the opportunity of childhood memories.






1 comment:

  1. Brings back my lightening bug hunting days. HAs Ittie seen the space station in the night sky? I can remember seeing Sputnik from our backyard the summer it was floating in the night sky.

    ReplyDelete