Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Ittie.. how is a little girl so wise..

Let me first say this is a long held belief.. Adults complicate the world way to much with justifications, fear, need to be right..  Specific Rules instead of things Like MOP.. (do no harm to myself, others or property.)

What I have learned from Avery it's simple really.  The poster that use to be popular about all I need to know I learned in Kindergarten.  I thought it was brilliant and true the first time I read it.  Today I wish as adults we could use it as our running guide to life.

Lesson one be nice: 

Harriet and I were discussing recent news about OBAMA's support for gay marriage,  North Carolina's ban, and just the state of opinion.  Avery had heard some of the news, and our discussion and asked.  Mama when are you and Harriet going to get married. 

Now I stopped .. and thought.. How do I explain that there are people in this world because of their religious convictions believe that Harriet and I are lessor.  How do I explain that this affects the balance of church and state.  How do I inform her that even though we pay taxes, own property, go to work, support our local school, give to charity, and raise her with some traditional values.  There are som e that don't believe we are their equal..

My phrasing was something like this.. "Ittie there are people that have stated that Harriet and I don't have the right to marry."   Her inquisitive mind instantly said "why".  Well Ittie there are people that believe Harriet and I are wrong  once again.. WHY.. because they believe that by being two women that are together like your Daddy and Deborah we are sinning.  

Avery pauses.. she thinks.  "but you love each other".   Yes Ittie we do.." but your nice..and happy" Yes Ittie we are and we do our best to be.   Avery thinks more. 

"Is the government telling you you can't be married?"  Well in this state yes but the people of the state inform the government. In other states like where Aunt Jess lives Harriet and I can marry.  Avery looks perplexed. 

Avery says "maybe you should talk to them".. Who baby.. Avery: "mama the people and the government.. you should talk to them."   Oh sweetheart.. I have written my congressman, and signed petitions.   I and many other's have talked and are talking to the government. 

Avery chimes in  "Maybe I should  You and Harriet are nice and I love you... "

My heart beams with pride.  Not for the ideal that Avery is standing up for the right to Marry.  But that she sees something that she disagrees with and feels that she should speak to someone about it to make it right.  It's courageous.  It's thoughtful and I am so proud.

We love you too Ittie.    

Really when it comes down to it.. It's that simple isn't it.  If she gets it in kindergarten the straight forwardness of love, equality.   That people can have different beliefs and celebrations of God but that rights go to all..   Why can't we as adults?  I am perplexed by the very same issues as Avery. 


2 comments:

  1. The founding fathers were so wise when they split church and state . . . and if He hadn't meant for you and Harriet to love each other, why did He design your lives that way?

    What an odd world we live in . . . as we grow, we forget the basics of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like her line of questioning.

    ReplyDelete