Thursday, March 1, 2012

Pink.. Irony at its best..

I am not truly against the color pink.. It makes some of the most amazing sunsets I have ever seen. As a blush wine it has frequented my palette and can say that I have picked out and planted my fair share of pink flowers on my own before Ittie came into the picture.

I can say that pink as a color is not a color that frequents my wardrobe.  I have had a couple shirts here and there but it is nowhere near a staple.  It really hasn't been something I have associated with my personality or being.

While her royal Majesty developed and came to be within my cocoon of a belly;  I was heard saying really lets not do the pink thing.  If she is a girl lets not genderize her from the very beginning.  I heard the retort.. "but what if someone thinks she is a boy".  I may have faked being aghast and then mockingly retorted.  "Do you think she is really going to know that as a baby?"  

 From the get go with Ittie I really haven't been about others' preconceived notions or comfortableness.  It has been about her and the environment in which I am raising her.  IF someone was uncomfortable because they said he and she is a she.. It was a moment of growth and grace for both of us.  I truly don't believe we should have to color code our children so the masses feel comfortable identifying what sex they are.  I also wasn't going to go to the other extreme of dress her is all "unisex" colors of blacks and whites and greys and khakis.  The world is full of diversity in the shades and tones and Ittie had a right to be bathed in that from the beginning.

Some close friends even understanding this took amusement in whenever they could find pink or I happen to dress her in pink attire.  I saw the smiles.  Heard the comments "I thought you were avoiding this". " I thought you hated pink.". It provided much amusement.  I don't believe because Avery was in the pink but I actually was surrounded, carrying bathed in the color of pink

As life tends to be ironic Ittie gravitated to pink  She loves it. She wants pink ponies, dinosaurs.  Avery had imaginary pink birds that went TWEET TWEET.   It is bright and warm much like her personality.  When she dawns on a pink garment, she really does seem to come a bit more alive with it and her smile grows broader. 

I don't know if she will migrate away from pink as her staple color.  I have never truly migrated away from Blue.  She has included some purples and light blues.  She now says her second favorite color is the rainbow.   But I really don't care.  If Pink is what she likes then GO PINK..

So today as she dawned her long sleeve pink shirt that had silvery writing of the Word LOVE and a big silver butterfly.  The pink fluffy skirt with white and silvery butterfly prints.  Black leggings and her pink cowboy boots , with light pink Cinderella socks underneath.  A tie dye pink headband to boot.. I looked at her then at myself dressed in mustard brown khakis, black v neck, Doc Martins,..grey sweater and laughed.  What a pair we are. 

She literally fluttered as she ran out the door to catch the bus this morning with her Light PINK jacket and pastel rainbow backpack.   "I love you Mama"....I hear as she flies toward the bus.  I love you too Ittie I  respond.  Pink may become my favorite color yet...

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this post! Don't worry about what your kid(s) like that you don't. Think about how boring life would be if we all liked (or disliked) the same things. You know how much I like...but even I wouldn't want to live in an all-pink world! Do wonder if they make the pink cowGIRL boots in my size though... :)

    ReplyDelete